Link to NRM Gateway Homepage  Link to public outreach items for Corps visitors  Link to Lake Discovery  Link to Recreation  Link to Environmental Compliance  Link to Environmental Stewardship  Link to Partners  Link Ideas
 Link to News/Current Events  Link to People  Link to Forums  Link to Learning  Link to GETS  Link to Tools  Link to Recent Gateway additions and archive of past postings  Link to Submissions  Link to Gateway Index and Search Engine  Description of tabs and contact information
Invasive, Exotic & Nuisance Species Frequently Asked Questions Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

Link to Disclaimer

    Q. What is an invasive species?
    A. Non-native organisms whose introductions cause or are likely to cause adverse environmental, economic, and/or human health impacts.

    Q. What is an exotic species?
    A. A species that is not native to a designated ecosystem or geographic area. Synonyms include nonindigenous, non-native, foreign, and alien species. Because some exotics may be harmful or invasive while others are not, this term should be used with great care.

    Q. What is a nuisance species?
    A. Native plant or animal considered a pest by human standards; impact is usually considered local. Species may reach nuisance status as a result of natural disturbance or human alteration of the ecosystem.

    Q. What is an ecosystem?
    A. A community of organisms and their surrounding abiotic environment functioning as one unit.

    Q. What control methods does the Corps use to address invasive exotic and nuisance species?
    A. Chemical, mechanical and biological methods are employed to reduce the impact of invasive/nuisance species. These methods may also be used to contain a species to stop its further spread.

    Q. What funding mechanism can be used to manage invasive/nuisance aquatic vegetation on Corps of Engineers projects?
    A. O&M funding can be used to manage invasive vegetation using a contract or other approved spending method. If the project is located on or adjacent to a navigation project where Removal of Aquatic Growth funds are utilized to control invasive aquatic vegetation, then spraying can be included as part of that contract, if funding is available.

    Q. Can COE employees apply pesticides on civil works projects?
    A. The Pest Control Program for Civil Works Project (ER 1130-2-540, Chp. 3) states that Corps employees using herbicides (either general or restricted use) shall successfully complete state, or state-approved training in the safe methods of application and shall follow all regulations pertaining to their use.

  • Home
  • At a Glance
  • Invasive Species Leadership Team
  • Programs
  • Invasive Species Profile System
  • Policy & Procedures
  • Good Enough to Share
  • Harmful Algal Blooms
  • Management Plans
  • FAQs
  • Assessment Tools
  • Related Sites
  • State Councils
  • Training
  • Species Information
  • References and Reports
  • News / Current Issues
  • USACE Invasive Species Cost Estimates
  • Education and Outreach (Traveling Trunk)
  • Web Meeting Schedule
  • Web Meeting Archives
  • R&D Statements of Need (SON)
  • USACE Invasive Plant Best Management Practices