Q. What are the Corps requirements to be a motorboat operator?
A. All motorboat operators of vessels less than 26 feet in length
shall complete and document the following training:
- Employees shall complete a USACE-approved 24-hour initial
boating safety course and refresher as prescribed in ER 385-1-91.
- A boating safety course meeting the criteria of the USCG
Auxiliary, National Association of Safe Boating Law Administrators
(NASBLA), or equivalent;
- Motorboat handling training, based on the type of boats
they will operate, provided by qualified instructors (in-house or
other). Operators must pass a written and operational test;
- USACE employees who are licensed by the USCG and are operating boats subject to USCG restrictions will still be required to receive USACE certification
in the 24-hour Motorboat Operator Course to receive the USACE boat operator license for vessels less than 26 feet in length.
Q. What are the Corps requirements to be a motorboat operator license instructor?
A. Motorboat operator license examiners must attend and graduate
from the HQUSACE-approved Motorboat License Examiner Training course
in addition to the requirements listed above. The course offered
by PROSPECT and the course is #172. To qualify to attend this course
- Be currently licensed as a USACE motorboat operator
- Have been designated to train local motor boat operators
in boating skills
- Are experienced motorboat operators
- Able to swim in a personal flotation device (PFD) for 100
Q. Do our licenses expire?
A. Yes they do. All licensed operators must attend an 8 hour refresher
certification course every 5 years to maintain certification.
Q. Do instructors certifications expire?
A. To maintain certification as a motorboat instructor, USACE employees
must participate as an instructor in at least one 24 hour motorboat
training course or 8 hour refresher course every three years. If
an instructor fails to meet this requirement, their certification
shall be revoked and shall not be reinstated until such time as
the employee attends a HQUSACE approved 40-hour Motorboat License
Examiner Training course.
Q. What about licensing for boats 26 feet in length or longer?
A. Corps of Engineers employees operating boats/vessels subject
to U.S. Coast Guard restrictions will be licensed in accordance
with that agency's requirements. Corps of Engineers boats/vessels
in that category will meet the inspection and certification requirements of ER 1130-2-500.