Review Classification of Visitor Suggestions
Visitor responses to the question “What improvements would you like to see here?” should be classified during data entry. The resulting classification of visitor comments will be used to organize summary reports of visitor suggestions that should make it easier for managers to identify the types of facility and service improvements most often requested by visitors.
Responses to this question should be classified into one of the thirteen pre-defined categories identified in the summary table below. Visitor suggestions for visitor center operations improvements should be placed into one of five operations (OP) categories. Suggestions for visitor center maintenance improvements should be placed into one of five maintenance (MA) categories. Non-responses and miscellaneous comments offering no suggestions for improvements to facilities or services should be placed into one of three other (OTR) categories.
|Cleanliness and Conveniences
||Roads and Parking Areas
||Buildings Used by Visitors
||No Comment or Suggestion Offered
|Visitor Service / Assistance
||Exhibits and Displays
||Inappropriate or Offensive Comment
|Informational Maps and Brochures
|Other Operational Services
||Other Facility Maintenance
Please observe the following rules, so that all suggestions for facility and service improvements are classified in a consistent manner:
- The response to this question should be categorized on every comment card entered into the database, even if no response was offered. There is a category available in the classification system applicable for non-responses.
- Visitor suggestions can be explicit or implied. Classify implied suggestions as though they were stated explicitly.
- Utilize your knowledge of local circumstances and available remedies to appropriately classify each comment.
- When more than one suggestion is provided on a comment card, classify the entire comment based on the suggestion you think is most important to address.
- Some suggestions will be appropriate for more than one category. Once you decide where to place a particular suggestion, strive to use the same category to classify similar suggestions you encounter later.
- Some comments may be inappropriate for inclusion. This may include offensive language, requests to hire friends, or simply including a person’s name. If you have this type of comment, do not enter the actual comment but note that an inappropriate comment was made.
Examples of actual comments that have been classified into these categories are available in a printable table.
Recreation Areas: Survey tools and procedures for 2018-19
Visitor Centers: Survey Tools and Procedures for 2018-19
Comment Card Image Files
Have Questions or Need Help?
Most Frequently Asked Questions